Monday, June 8, 2015
70 Mill St, 1st Floor at 6:30 p.m.
- Phylis Coles (President)
- Claudia Pardo (Secretary)
- Hamida Hassanzada (Social Committee Chair)
- Keith Veira (Director at Large)
- Lester Brown (Past President)
- Corinne Bryers (70 Mill Street Representative)
- Jose Castillo (390 Cherry Street Representative)
- George Hume (Representative for 39 Parliament),
- Marien Breen (Representative for 80 Mill Street)
- Parrish Offer
- Sheila Iseman (Treasurer)
- Susan Kushneryk
- Julie Beddoes
- Hamida Hassanzada
- Salim Jamal (Vice-President)
- Ken Yim (33 Mill Street Representative)
Phylis Coles, President, called the meeting to order at 6:39 p.m. assumed the Chair. With the consent of the meeting, Claudia Pardo, was appointed Recording Secretary for the meeting.
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
A MOTION was made by Lester Brown and seconded by Keith Veira to approve the Agenda. MOTION CARRIED
3. Claudia Prado, Secretary of the Association took the Minutes
4. MINUTES OF MAY 11th MEETING
A MOTION was made by Sheila Iseman and seconded by George Hume to approve the Minutes of the Meetings held Monday, May 11th, 2015 at 80 Mill St, 2nd Floor at 6:30 p.m. MOTION CARRIED.
5.1 Treasurer’s Report – Sheila Iseman
- Balance to June 8, 2015 is $3,872.33. Came from Membership Total of 2,583 (Income for 2015 and 2016).
- Keith moved, George seconded. Approved.
- We’re at 148 members
- District News has come out and distributed.
- Arella asks: How many people are actually reading it or if you think it’s not relevant? How many felt that it wasn’t relevant to what you were looking for? Or is there anything you’d like to have included?
- A crossword puzzle
- Discussion of the issues relevant to the Distillery. For example: the ongoing noise from events.
- If anyone has an idea please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sheila: the cost of putting it together is expensive, would people prefer having access to the District News online?
- If it’s relevant, people use it and it serves our purpose then it makes sense keeping it.
George Hume provided the written Report and resolution regarding the Gardiner/Lakeshore Reconfiguration that reads:
“Be it resolved that after at thorough review by our development committee, the Board of Directors of the GWNA, recommends that the “Boulevard’ option is the preferred and best proposal for the future of the Gardiner Expressway taking into account he financial, transportation, city building and neighbourhood planning implications of the options now before City Council; and further be it resolved that the Board of Directors of the GWNA send a letter to the Mayor and all City Councilors clearly indicating our reasoning and preference for the Boulevard option and urging them to vote in favour of it”
George Hume moved, Seconder Corinne.
- Against : 1
- For : 9
- Abstaining : 2
Why do they say that we will be saving money with the hybrid option? His rationale indicates that there will be a lost revenue because of all the works to be performed per year.
The difference in time is it between the Hybrid and the Boulevard? R/TO the best of his understanding, yes.
First Gulf proposed the hybrid option, a much less invasive Hybrid, that implies having high level roads at higher speeds.
Keith – We don’t want roads with cars 3 feet away (more fatalities). When you bring speed and then slow down on to areas with kids, families, etc. this will be an issue. It’s about how we feel about our city. The facts are all over the place. There’s no right or wrong answer.
A pedestrian point of view: It will be great if they take it down. Accessibility to the Waterfront will be much better than it is right now.
Aesthetic issues: it’s annoying that the issue is based only on traffic and not on the neighbourhood.
5.5 Social Committee – Phylis Coles reminded all about the June 16, 2015 Neighbours’ Night Out evening with Crime Prevention Association of Metro Toronto. Members have one free ticket and all additional tickets sell for $3.00 each. The Distillery has been very generous in providing us with this wonderful location as well as two chefs to do the barbecuing and also two men to take care of the bar. Drinks will be sold at a cost of $1 less per drink.
5.6 Community Liaison Police Committee – Corinne Bryer
- Corinne thanks the people involved in backing her up at the meetings.
- Family Fun and Police Games Saturday June 13th, 2015.
Hon. Glen R. Murray, MPP - Minister of the Environment and Climate Change
o Climate change is been an important issue in Ontario.
o Closure of coal plants in Ontario started about a decade ago. About a month ago, Michigan announced also proceeding with the closure of 7 of its coal plants, which is an evolution.
o One of the things that have helped was the International Panel on Climate Change 5th Report. They come about every couple of years or so. This report pointed out that the last 5 years have had highest increase in greenhouse gas emissions in our history. Even if we reduce the greenhouse emissions, we’re still reaching a significant change in temperature.
o Where we’re heading today:
§ We might get to a 4 degrees Celsius change in temperature in the latter half of this century (2060’s or 2070’s). This change in temperature is extraordinary disruptive (loss of life, destruction of food supply, a planet not hospitable for life or civilization as we know it).
§ The Minister’s job is multiple, but it also includes developing a pricing system on carbon. Mainly if you let people pollute for free they will just don’t mind. China, Japan, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, all of Europe and California in the US for example, have a price on carbon. That money will fund efforts to reduce these emissions and to pay for the damage being done to people’s home, but also to increase initiatives to fight the consequences of carbon emissions (geothermal, solar panels, companies to buy more energy efficient systems, etc). The other options are: 1. A cap and rate system (put a cap on the total number of emissions). Quebec and California have that system and 2. A carbon tax system, such as the one implemented in British Columbia.
§ This money will help:
· Accelerate projects that have already been paid for.
· Fix damages caused by climate change events, among other things.
§ The idea is to keep the budget for this at 3.5% of GDP as it’s been since 2003.
§ Working on the complete electrification of the transit system.
§ Working on improving green building. Trying to bring down the cost of energy, better insulation of buildings, retrofitting buildings. We are leaders in green technology. Condos are a big part of this.
o In regards to the amount of energy that Ontario generates, it’s enough for today’s needs.
o Climate Critical is a program they’re looking forward to develop.
o What’s your worst worry?
§ Food security and water supply
· Droughts in Mexico and California
· Ontario is number 2 food producer in North America. ¾ of North America has seen severe droughts and increased temperatures that affect the food production.
· Looking into what can we produce now, how to produce it with the climate change?
§ Water supply is also being affected.
§ Polar Vortex. The temperature has increased about 2.7 degrees in the area.
o We’re the last generation that will know “normal” climate. Changes that are affecting a fundamental system of life.
o We’re preparing with new technologies and deploying the old ones.
- Shortage of food. Does it mean going to GMOs in the future? R/ There’s no preference for organic or traditional ways of agriculture. The problem today is the high amounts of toxicity. People need to know how to dispose of their non-perishables (for example, do not flush dental floss)
- Spaces in the city to have some Community Gardening? R/The Ministry is working with Green Infrastructure and Food Chair to start community gardening projects. The Minister would be interested in working closer with people interested in doing it.
- Why pushing wind power? R/Wind is very important. Wind power is the most user friendly for farmers. It’s less reliable though. The amount of wind power generated is not as high as the nuclear one.
- What grants can a condo owner get if they decide to be more energy efficient oriented? R/ Decisions are usually made by the condo owner. Geo Thermal is optimal and you could retrofit fairly easy. These programs will be developed during the summer. If you can come up with a plan for your neighbourhood you’re invited to bring the ideas to be discussed. They can also do workshops about what kind of programs can work for the community. By a show of hands, the members were interested in this type of workshop.
- How does the Carbon monitoring work? R/ After experiences in other countries, you need to have a floor and manage the amount of allowances out there (how many free allowances you have). You give some free allowances to the forestry industry for example and you see how they perform. How do you determine what the cap is, industry by industry? You look at what’s the technology they use and set a cap for an industry. The problem is giving free allowances to people who don’t deserve it. There has to be a balance of being strict but not as much for the system not to work.
- Site development
- New Retail
- Focus on PanAm and Panamania
- Security Plan during the PanAm Games
- Ribbon Building and residential on Parliament. Triangle lands. South periphery of the property. 31A portion is the condo with retail and office underneath. It’s all approved; we’re waiting for zoning.
- Recently they’ve done soil testing and the next public meeting should be at the end of the summer.
- One of the things that were planned for the ribbon building was sort of a park on the top that maybe would involve growing herbs for the restaurants.
- There won’t be parking as you know it today on Distillery Ln, just a walkway with restaurants and retail.
Among the new stores being opened at the Distillery, you’ll find:
- Cop. Copine
- Cube Works
- Saucy Miler
- Tappo re-opened
- Boku is working on their patio.
- Main stage will be next to the still-dancing sculpture.
- There will be some satellite staging on the wall around the corner of Boku.
- For those affected by noise, the DD will be keeping within the noise guidelines.
- The whole site will be transformed into a Latin-American party more or less, to celebrate the Pan Am Games. A list will be published.
- Programs will be on from Tuesday to Sunday for 2 weeks starting the week of the 10th until the 25th.
- The site will be busy
- Accessibility might be challenging.
- During rush hours the police will be directing traffic on Mill St, Parliament and Mill and on Parliament and Distillery Lane.
- Residents will have specific tags that will be provided through the management office of each condo tower. The idea is to make it very convenient for everyone.
- Mill is going to be one way. Trinity is one way going south.
- Parking permit people will be accommodated maybe on Mill getting to Cherry (CONFIRM)
- Q/For the parking lot at 390 Cherry St, is anybody going to be going down to the P2 ramp? R/Those 31 parking spaces on the ramp that goes down to P2 will be assigned to permit parking people only, not public parking.
- Q/In regards to 33 Mill St, how do people for commercial parking at P1 will park if they don’t have the yellow tag for residents? And how are they going to avoid for the commercial people not to go down to P2? R/A security guard will be directing traffic. A “Residential Parking – Not parking beyond this point” sign will be placed as well.
- Q/Any concern security regarding the PanAm Village being a target? R/ It’s always a concern. The DD is working closely with ISU.
- Q/ Are there any evacuation plans in case something happened? R/ No.
- Q/Who gave permission to Boku to do the building of the permanent patio canopy? Because what’s stopping others to do the same? This is creating a precedent. R/ It was approved by Toronto Heritage. Lana will research it and will get back to us in this regard.
- Q/Cherry St and Mill St will be closed, but in case of an emergency, will they be opened? R/The sidewalks are not closed. Emergency vehicles will be able to access from Lakeshore and Cherry on the south side of the building. Emergency vehicles will not be compromised in any way.
- Q/ What are they going to do with the still cars and the ones coming/driving where the hairdresser is? R/ They’re going to move the bollards 20 feet from where they are now. That will allow people who need to wait or deliver something to park temporarily there and not come in.
7. Tom Davidson – Constituency Assistant to Pam McConnell
- Now doing the design work for Mill St. Specially the Trinity and Mill intersection. There’s an internal discussion taking place about what’s coming.
- Trinity Street has been re-done.
- Gardiner Expressway:
- This community has been involved actively in the EA
- There’s a lot of work being done and further options might also be considered.
- Reminder that this is the season of mortgages.
- Presented the Customer Service Manager and Investment Advisor at TD Wealth.
- Offers: Samsung Tablet for an one who opens an all-inclusive or unlimited account with some conditions (April 20th until July 31st).
- For existing clients, they’re doing a draw for a tablet. Go to the branch and ask what they can do for you.
Sue Kelleher, Program Standards & Development Officer, Parks Forestry & Recreation
Tom Davidson, Constituency Assistant to Pam McConnell, Deputy Mayor & City Councillor Ward 28
- August we’re not having any meeting.
- September 21, 2015 at 80 Mill Street at 6:30 p.m.
10. Meeting Closed
Meeting closed at 9:05 p.m.